Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life Drawing Class

I attended a life drawing class that was open to the community. I haven't drawn in a session using a model since school, and I forgot what it was like: intense concentration as the model shifts through one, two and five-minute poses. After a half hour of those, a ten-minute pose seems excruciatingly long. It’s hard work, representing a proportional figure in charcoal, ink, oil pastel on colored paper, over and over for hours. I forgot about the cohesive sort of camaraderie that develops between students, teacher, and model, by the second or third hour. During breaks, we chat, as the model munches carrot sticks. By the end it’s much more intuitive, and I’m exhausted, the drawing coming faster and easier and more complete.

Ink on Recycled Paper

1 comment: